Learn How Easy Cold Frame Greenhouse Nurseries Are to Build and Buy!
Several gardening tools have been developed over the centuries, making it possible for people to plant even under extremely hot or cold weather.
Since the need for food is inevitable, farmers have come up with several options to improve farming methods and produce a consistent supply of food, many farmers buy cold frame nurseries.
A cold frame greenhouse is a cheaper option for farmers who want to protect their young plants from extremely cold weather conditions.
A cold frame greenhouse gardening kit is a collapsible four-sided structure with a clear top to allow the sun’s rays inside the greenhouse. The two side walls of a cold frame greenhouse is usually elevated on the rear side to allow snow, rain and other objects to just fall off the top.
- It also allows the greenhouse to receive maximum sunlight exposure. Because it is usually collapsible, you can easily disassemble it when it is not needed.
Cold frames are usually used for vegetable gardening.
- They help insulate the heat and create a microclimate, providing a tolerable temperature for the plants.
- This then makes the plants survive fall and winter.
- Often, cold frames are used for seedlings that are later transferred into an open ground where they can grow more freely.
Utilizing a Coldframe Greenhouse
The cold frame greenhouse is popular in places where there is very cold climate.
Many farmers usually build cold frame greenhouses out of recycled materials, although some others buy them in local hardware stores.
The typical homemade cold frame greenhouse has a recycled storm window as its lid, which makes it strong enough to withstand extreme weather conditions.
- The most common types of cold frames are hoop house greenhouses and hot bed greenhouses.
The cold frame greenhouse is often built to face the south and placed on the side of the house, which serves as the rear wall of the cold frame.
- The house can keep the greenhouse warm during very cold days.
- By placing the cold frame greenhouse beside the wall of the house, you are keeping it protected from cold winds at some degree.
Although a cold frame greenhouse should be kept closed at all times to keep the insides warm during very cold weather, you should allow the heat to escape once in a while to keep it from being overheated.
- The greenhouse should also be placed somewhere where the plants are not going to drown because of water trapped inside it.
- During very cold weather conditions, the greenhouse should be covered with a blanket or any material that can insulate heat.
The dimensions of a cold frame greenhouse depend on how much space you need for the plants.
- Greenhouse cold frames are usually small, although some of those that you can buy from the hardware store and some that are custom made for commercial cold frame greenhouses purposes, which are big enough to accommodate a whole garden.
Benefits of the Coldframe Greenhouse
1. Because it is a cheaper option compared to other kinds of greenhouses, it can make you save money in the end without risking anything.
- A cold frame greenhouse is actually considered as a wise option for farmers.
2. It protects the plants from extremely hot or cold weather conditions that can damage the plants very badly.
- It also protects the plants from debris and other falling objects that are potentially harmful because they decrease the damage made to the plants.
3. It allows a farmer to grow specific plants that need their own separate area. This is because some plants can only be grown under certain weather conditions.
- Since different plants require different temperatures, it allows farmers to control the temperature of an area according to what is needed by the plant without ruining the growth of other plants.
4. It ensures the harvest of plants even during winter months.
- With cold frame greenhouses, it is possible to grow vegetables ahead of their season when they become extremely expensive.
- Depending on the size of your greenhouse, you can grow a variety of plants so you get to have a wider range of choices during harvest.
- Many people find a cold frame build your own greenhouse plans for construction and build one in their backyard, it’s not every difficult.
A cold frame greenhouse is ideal for someone who wants to start with a simple garden but is hindered by the climate in his area.
- The start of winter should not stop you from growing a garden because there are many plants that can live even in extreme weather conditions. However, they have to be monitored very closely.
- You need the right structure and growing space to keep the plants alive.
- If allows you to maintain the plants and provide them with the essential elements that will keep them alive without making use of an expensive heating system to keep the heat inside the greenhouse during very cold weather.
- It allows you to take full control of your garden.
It is important to remember that a plant needs water even under extremely cold weather conditions.
Since the plants are in a controlled environment, you have to keep track of the temperature to keep them from freezing or wilting in case the weather becomes too hot. Observe the plants very closely.
- Do not wait for them to wither or burn.
- If the weather becomes hot, immediately remove the cover of the cold frame greenhouse.
- Some farmers have “automatic venting system” that allows them to monitor the temperature inside the greenhouse more closely.
Although cold frame greenhouses have numerous advantages, one of its disadvantages is that it can be quite costly to build especially if you want to build a large one for your garden plants.
However, for small-scale protection, it will cost you only a few dollars.
- For building a cold frame, you must find really good cold frame greenhouse plans.
- It may not even cost you anything if you know how to use recycled materials and turn them into this useful gardening tool.
Whether you are a beginner or an expert gardener, a cold frame greenhouse will help you grow healthy plants in your backyard that you can harvest even when they are not in season. A cold frame greenhouse will be beneficial to you as it has been beneficial to many farmers in the world.
Related Articles and News Stories
- Cold Frames and Hot Beds Explained – (savvygardener.com)
- What is a cold frame greenhouse? (brighthub.com)
- Benefits of a Cold Frame (gomestic.com)
- A Brief History of Cold Frames ( coldframe.org.uk)
- USDA to Launch High Tunnel Study to Increase Availability of Locally Grown Foods – (usda.gov)